CONDITIONING DRILL 3, EXERCISE 1: “Y” SQUAT
Purpose: This exercise develops strength, endurance, and mobility of the lower back and lower extremities (Figure 9-12).
Starting Position: Straddle stance with shoulder blades pulled rearward with arms overhead and palms inward.
- Squat with arms overhead (forming a “Y”) without allowing the back to round.
- Return to the starting position by tightening the buttocks and driving upward.
- Repeat count 1.
- Return to the starting position.
- During count 1, lower the body as far as possible without rounding the back, keeping the shoulders drawn rearward, arms forming a “Y” overhead.
- Tighten the buttocks and drive the trunk upward to return to the starting position.
- Heels remain on the ground throughout the exercise.