CONDITIONING DRILL 3, EXERCISE 8: FROG JUMPS FORWARD AND BACKWARD
Purpose: This exercise develops coordination, balance, and explosive strength in the legs (Figure 9-19).
Starting Position: Straddle stance, slightly crouched, assuming a half-squat, with the back straight, arms at the sides with elbows bent at 90-degrees, and palms facing forward.
- Maintain a half-squat and hop forward.
- Maintain a half-squat and hop backward.
- Repeat count 2.
- Maintain a half-squat and hop forward, returning to the starting position.
- At the starting position, tighten the abdominals to stabilize the trunk.
- On all counts, do not allow the back to round; keep the head up and the eyes forward.
- On each landing, the feet should be directed forward and maintained at shoulder distance apart. The landing should be “soft” and proceed from the balls of the feet to the heels.