CONDITIONING DRILL 3, EXERCISE 3: SIDE-TO-SIDE KNEE LIFTS
Purpose: This exercise develops coordination, balance, and explosive strength in the legs (Figure 9-14).
Starting Position: Straddle stance with hands on hips.
- Hop to the left, landing on the left foot, while simultaneously drawing the right knee toward the chest. The right hand moves comfortably down to the side toward the right ankle and the left hand touches the right knee.
- Hop to the right, landing on the right foot, while simultaneously drawing the left knee toward the chest, the left hand moves comfortably down to the side toward the left ankle and the right hand touches the left knee.
- Repeat count 1.
- Repeat count 2 and return to the starting position on the final repetition.
- At the starting position, tighten the abdominals to stabilize the trunk.
- On all counts, do not allow the back to round; keep the head up and the eyes forward.
- On each landing, the feet should be directed forward and maintained at shoulder distance apart. The landing should be “soft” and proceed from the balls of the feet to the heels. The vertical line from the shoulders through the knees to the balls of the feet should be demonstrated on each landing.