STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 5: SEATED ROW
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the arm and back muscles (Figure 6-33).
Starting Position: Seated position with the feet firmly planted on the foot supports. Lean forward and grasp the handgrips with the hands in a neutral closed grip. Sit erect so the upper body is perpendicular to the floor. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack.
- Simultaneously, bend the elbows and pull the handgrips to the chest or upper abdomen while keeping the trunk rigid and the back flat.
- Return to the starting position by slowly extending the elbows.
- Feet remain flat on the ground or foot supports.
- The trunk is erect and the back is flat.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead or slightly downward.
- The arms are about parallel to the ground.
- On count 1 ensure the elbows point up and to the rear.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Do not jerk the trunk to move the handgrips towards the chest. Maintain a flat back.