The AR 670-1 Army Earring Regulation outlines specific regulations and guidelines concerning the wearing of earrings in the Army.
These regulations are detailed in 670-1 regulation, which covers the wear and appearance of Army uniforms and insignia.
- The Army sets these regulations to maintain high discipline, represent a professional military image, and promote uniformity within its ranks.
- This sense of uniformity and professional appearance helps to build camaraderie and cohesion, reinforcing the identity of the Army as a unified body.
- AR 670-1 regulation lays down guidelines for male and female soldiers.
Male Army Earring Regulation
- Army Uniform: Male soldiers are not authorized to wear earrings in Army uniforms.
- On Duty in Civilian Clothing: Male soldiers can not also wear earrings while on duty in civilian clothing.
- Off-Duty: Even off-duty male soldiers are not permitted to wear earrings on any military installation or while representing the Army in any official capacity.
- The Army expects soldiers to maintain a professional appearance beyond active duty hours.
Female Army Earring Regulation
Service, Dress, Mess, and Evening Mess Uniforms
- Female soldiers can wear earrings with the service, dress, mess, and evening mess uniforms.
Types of Earrings Allowed
- Earrings must be screw-on, clip-on, or post-type gold, silver, white pearl, or diamond earrings.
- The earrings must not exceed 6 mm, or 1/4 inch, in diameter and must be unadorned and spherical.
- The earrings must fit snugly against the ear and be worn as a matched pair, with only one earring per earlobe.
- Hoop, two-sided, or drop earrings are not authorized.
Restrictions on Class C Uniforms
- Female soldiers cannot wear earrings with any Class C uniform.
- This includes:
- Combat Uniform
- Utility Uniform
- Garrison Culinary Uniform
- Physical Fitness Uniform
- Field Uniform
- Organizational Uniform
- This aligns with the practical requirements of these environments.
Civilian Clothes on Duty
- As outlined above, female soldiers must follow the AR 670-1 Earrings regulation while in civilian clothes on duty.
- When female soldiers are not in uniform and off duty, earring wear is not restricted as long as the earrings do not create or support ear gauging.
- Enlarged holes in the ear lobe greater than 1.6 mm.
AR 670-1 Earrings Changes and Amendments
- AR 670-1 Earrings regulation is not a static document.
- The Army updates these regulations to keep up with changing norms and practical requirements.
- This highlights the importance of referring to the most recent version.
Army Earring Regulation Conclusion
- The US Army earring regulations, like the Army Nail Regulations and AR 670-1 Hair stipulated in AR 670-1, help maintain a professional, uniform appearance among its soldiers.
- Whether on or off duty, in uniform, or in civilian clothing, the guidelines aim to uphold the discipline, professionalism, and unified identity that form the bedrock of the US Army’s ethos.