The ACFT promotion points are awarded to soldiers who score well on the ACFT and can be used to help soldiers advance in their careers within the Army.
What are promotion points?
- Promotion points are the points soldiers earn for achievements in various areas, which can increase their chances of being promoted to the next rank.
What are ACFT Promotion Points?
ACFT promotion points refer to the points a soldier can earn based on their performance in the ACFT.
- Performance Correlation: The better a soldier performs on this test, the more promotion points they can earn towards their next rank.
- The ACFT Promotion Points Calculator considers a soldier’s score, time in service, and other factors to determine how many promotion points they earned and should count towards their overall score.
Categorization and Importance
- Typically, promotion points related to the ACFT would be categorised under “Physical Fitness” in the soldier’s overall promotion points tally.
- Depending on the Army’s current regulations and criteria, the specific points awarded can change.
- Soldiers are always encouraged to refer to the latest Army regulations or guidance to understand the current criteria for ACFT promotion points.
Table: Overview of ACFT Promotion Points
|Test Name||Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT)|
|Purpose||Evaluate soldiers’ physical readiness and capability|
|Promotion Points||Points earned from ACFT performance to aid in promotion|
|Category||Typically falls under “Physical Fitness”|
|Note||Soldiers should consult latest Army regulations for current scoring criteria|
Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) Promotion Points System
The ACFT plays an instrumental role in a soldier’s promotion within the United States Army. The system evaluates physical fitness based on the criteria outlined below:
Basic requirements for ACFT:
- The Physical Fitness Test carries a maximum of 120 points for promotion to both SGT and SSG.
- It’s essential for the physical fitness test to align with Army training regulations and field manuals.
- For eligibility for ACFT promotion points:
- A minimum passing score in each required ACFT event is obligatory.
- Soldiers must utilise the latest record physical fitness test score, even if it’s less than a preceding score from the past 12 months.
ACFT Promotion Point Changes and Updates for 2023
- The Army has recently unveiled new guidelines relating to the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) promotion point modifications.
- These changes bring about a clearer path for soldiers who are in line for promotions to the ranks of Sergeant and Staff Sergeant.
Date of Effectiveness:
- These new regulations will officially be implemented on April 1, 2023.
- Consequently, soldiers can anticipate these changes to influence the selection process, commencing with the June 2023 promotion month.
Entities Impacted by the Change:
- The modifications in the promotion points system are going to directly affect members of the Regular Army (RA) as well as the US Army Reserve (USAR) in the Active Guard Reserve (AGR) category.
- For those in the USAR but not in the AGR category, the transition won’t be immediate.
- They will continue to have their promotions based on the points from their last recorded Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) until March 31, 2024.
- This means that some of the Army Reserve members will need to exercise patience before they experience the impact of these alterations.
A Deep Dive into the ACFT Promotion Point Changes by Category
- The grand total of promotion points remains unchanged at 800.
- Nevertheless, incorporating the ACFT into the evaluation system has necessitated certain amendments in the categorization and allocation of these points.
ACFT Promotion Point Changes for Promotions to the Rank of Sergeant
Soldiers aiming for the sergeant rank will notice modifications spanning four distinctive areas. These areas encompass:
- Physical Fitness: A substantial adjustment is seen here, with points decreasing from an original 180 to 120.
- Awards: There’s an increase in this category. The points have gone up from 125 to 145, emphasizing the Army’s renewed focus on recognition and rewards.
- Resident Military Education: This category also sees an enhancement, with points climbing from 80 to 110.
- Computer training: A point increase from 80 to 90 emphasizes the significance of tech literacy.
Despite the above alterations, some areas have remained steadfast in their point allocations:
- Weapons: A solid 160 points.
- Professional Military Education: Holding steady at 40 points
- Civilian Education: No change here, maintaining its 135 points.
ACFT Promotion Point Changes for Promotions to the Rank of Staff Sergeant
For those vying for the Staff Sergeant position, alterations are confined to two key areas:
- Physical Fitness: The points have been trimmed down from 145 to 120.
- Resident Military Education: A spike is seen here, with points ascending from 90 to 115.
Despite these revisions, certain categories persist in their previous point allotment:
- Weapons: Remains at 110 points.
- Awards: A constant 165 points.
- Professional Military Education: Unchanged at 40 points
- Computer Training: Holding firm at 90 points
- Civilian Education: Continues to offer 160 points
Overview of Promotion Point Categories
The table below meticulously captures the adjustments in point values with specific pointers to any reductions or increases:
ACFT Promotion Points Table
|CATEGORY||Promotion to SGT|
|Promotion to SGT|
(New 1 April 2023)
|Promotion to SSG|
|Promotion to SSG|
(New 1 April 2023)
|– Physical Fitness||180||120||145||120|
|– Resident Training||80||110||90||115|
|– Computer Training||80||90||90||90|
Note: The table is organised for clarity, ensuring that each category and its subcategories are well represented in both the Promotion to SGT and Promotion to SSG columns for the respective dates.
- Soldiers with permanent physical profiles are required to take and pass a record physical fitness test, in accordance with Army guidelines and within their profile constraints.
- Soldiers are awarded 60 points for each fitness test event they have waived or if they pass an alternate event. The actual score will be used for any event they perform.
- These adjusted fitness test scores will count towards the awarding of promotion points.
- Soldiers with temporary profiles cannot take a physical fitness test. Their most recent record, provided it’s not older than a year, will determine promotion points.
- Pregnancy/Army Pregnancy Postpartum Physical Training Programme: Soldiers can use their current record if it’s not more than 2 years old. If it goes over a year, a memorandum with the unit CDR’s signature is necessary. The effective date is specified in the memorandum.
- Never taken an ACFT test by Specific DatesSoldiers will get an ACFT score equal to double their last APFT score or a minimum passing ACFT score (360 points) if they’ve never taken an APFT.
- For RA/USAR (AGR), the effective date is March 31, 2023.
- For USAR (less AGR), the effective date is March 31, 2024.
- Failure/Negligence: Soldiers failing a record physical fitness test or those who don’t take a record test due to their own negligence will be removed from the recommended list.
ACFT Promotion Point Chart List 2023
- The promotion point chart for the record physical fitness test (for promotion to both SGT and SSG) is provided below.
- The modified APFT-based promotion point chart for USAR (less AGR) soldiers is available in the table below. It’s usable from April 1 through March 31, 2024.
- Starting April 1, 2024, all soldiers (both RA and USAR) must refer to the table below to determine promotion points.
|ACFT Score||ACFT Promotion Points|
APFT Promotion Points Sheet
The following are the APFT Promotion Points:
|APFT Scores||APFT Promotion Points|