CLIMBING DRILL 1, EXERCISE 5: ALTERNATING GRIP PULL-UP
Purpose: This exercise develops the muscles used to pull the body upward while using an alternating grip (Figure 9-28).
Starting Position: Extended hang using the alternating grip, left or right.
- Keep the body straight, pull upward, allowing the head to move to the left or right side of the bar, and touch the left or right shoulder to the bar.
- Return to the starting position.
- When using the left alternating grip, Soldiers touch the left shoulder to the bar on count 1. If the right alternating grip is used, Soldiers touch the right shoulder to the bar on count 1.
- On count 2, the arms are fully extended to return to the starting position.
- Keep the feet together, throughout the exercise.
Precaution: Refer to paragraph 9-42 for spotting.