CLIMBING DRILL 1, EXERCISE 1: STRAIGHT-ARM PULL
Purpose: This exercise develops the ability to initiate the pull-up motion and maintain a contraction in the extended hang position (Figure 9-24).
Starting Position: Extended hang using the overhand grip.
- Keeping the arms straight, pull the body upward using the shoulders and upper back muscles only.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 9-24. Straight-arm pull
- Throughout the exercise, keep the arms shoulder width, palms facing away from the body, with the thumbs around the bar.
- Throughout the exercise, keep the elbows straight, but not locked.
- On count 1, pull the body up by engaging the shoulder muscles (squeeze the shoulder blades together).