CONDITIONING DRILL 1, EXERCISE 1: POWER JUMP
Purpose: This exercise reinforces correct jumping and landing, stimulates balance and coordination, and develops explosive strength (Figure 9-2).
Starting Position: Straddle stance with hands on hips.
- Squat with the heels flat as the spine rounds forward to allow the straight arms to reach to the ground, attempting to touch with the palms of the hands.
- Jump forcefully in the air, vigorously raising arms overhead, with palms facing inward.
- Control the landing and repeat count 1.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 9-2. Power jump
- At the starting position, tighten the abdominals to stabilize the trunk.
- On counts 1 and 3, keep the back generally straight with the head up and the eyes forward.
- On count 2, the arms should be extended fully overhead. The trunk and legs should also be in line.
- On each landing, the feet are directed forward and maintained at shoulder distance apart. The landing should be “soft” and proceed from the balls of the feet to the heels. The vertical line from the shoulders through the knees to the balls of the feet should be demonstrated on each landing.