STRENGTH TRAINING CIRCUIT, STATION 8: OVERHEAD PUSH PRESS
Purpose: This exercise strengthens the shoulders and triceps muscles (Figure 9-43).
Starting Position: Straddle stance holding the kettlebells at the collar bones using a neutral grip (palms inward).
- From the starting position slightly flex the hips and knees (slight squat) with feet flat on the floor, keeping the upper body and upper arms parallel to the ground. Forcefully extend the hips, knees, and ankles while simultaneously extending the elbows to raise the kettlebells overhead.
- Return to the starting position by flexing the elbows, controlling the descent to the collar bones and shoulders while simultaneously flexing the hips and knees to reduce the impact of the kettlebells on the shoulders.
- Repeat count 1.
- Repeat count 2, returning to the starting position.
Figure 9-43. Overhead push press
- Hold the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead or slightly upward.
- Perform counts 1 and 3 in a fast, continuous motion.
- Always control the descent of the kettlebells during counts 2 and 4 to avoid injury to the trunk and back.
- On counts 1 and 3, straighten the elbows but do not lock them.
- Tighten the abdominal muscles while in the starting position and hold this contraction throughout the exercise to ensure trunk stability.
Movement to Station 9: Verticals
. Refer to Chapter 10, Endurance and Mobility Activities, Figure 10-4.