CLIMBING DRILL 2, EXERCISE 5: ALTERNATING GRIP PULL-UP
Purpose: This exercise develops the ability to pull the body upward while hanging with an alternating grip (Figure 9-33).
Starting Position: Extended hang using the alternating grip, left or right.
- Keeping the body straight, pull upward, allowing the head to move to the left or right side of the bar and touch the left or right shoulder to the bar.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 9-33. Alternating grip pull-up
- If the alternating grip left is used, Soldiers should touch the left shoulder to the bar on count 1.
- If the alternating grip right is used, Soldiers should touch the right shoulder to the bar on count 1.
- On count 2, the arms are fully extended to return to the starting position.
- Throughout the exercise, keep the feet together.