CONDITIONING DRILL 2, EXERCISE 5: 8-COUNT PUSH-UP
Purpose: This exercise combines the functional movements of the squat thrust and push-up to develop total body strength, endurance, and mobility (Figure 9-11).
Starting Position: Position of attention.
- Assume the squat position.
- Thrust the legs backward to the front leaning rest position.
- Bend the elbows, lowering the body until the upper arms are parallel with the ground. Elbows should point to the rear.
- Return to the front leaning rest position.
- Repeat count 3.
- Repeat count 4.
- Return to the squat position as in count 1.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 9-11. 8-count push-up
- To keep the trunk from sagging, tighten the abdominal muscles while in the starting position and maintain this contraction throughout the exercise.
- On counts 1 through 7, the hands are directly below the shoulders with fingers spread and the middle fingers directed straight forward.
- On counts 1 and 7, keep the heels together and raised.
- On counts 4 and 6, straighten but do not lock the elbows.
Precautions: Allowing the trunk to sag, especially on count 2, strains the back. Avoid this by maintaining a strong abdominal contraction throughout the exercise. If the pushup cannot be performed on counts 2-6 correctly to cadence, quickly assume the 6-point stance before count 3 and return to the front leaning rest position just before performing count 7.