STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 11: TRUNK FLEXION
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the abdominal muscles (Figure 6-52).
Starting Position: Seated position with the feet firmly on the ground. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack. The seat is adjusted so the chest pad is located on the upper chest, below the collarbone. The elbows are shoulder-width apart and bent at 90 degrees, with hands in a closed-grip. The hips and low back are firmly against the seat back with the eyes looking straight ahead.
- Bend forward, flexing the trunk, and bringing the chest pad to the thighs.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 6-52. Trunk flexion
- Feet remain on the ground, with hips and back firmly on the bench.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Do not jerk into position or allow the hips to rise off the seat.