STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 9: TRICEPS EXTENSION
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the triceps muscles (Figure 6-44).
Starting Position (Standing): Straddle stance with a 90-degree angle formed at the upper and lower arms. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack. Maintain an erect position, eyes looking straight ahead, grasping the bar with a closed, pronated grip.
Starting Position (Seated): Seated position with the feet firmly on the ground. The seat is adjusted so a 90-degree angle is formed between the upper and lower arms, with elbows shoulder-width apart on the supporting pad, and hands in a closed-grip. The hips and low back are firmly against the seat back with the eyes looking straight ahead. A natural arch is maintained in the lower back. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack.
- Push downward until both arms are fully extended, but not locked.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 6-44. Triceps extension
- Feet remain on the ground, with hips and back firmly on the bench during seated triceps extension.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Do not lean forward while performing standing triceps extension. Do not arch the back or allow the hips to rise off the bench during seated exercise.