STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 6: OVERHEAD PRESS
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the arm and shoulder muscles (Figure 6-36).
Starting Position: The Soldier assumes a seated position with the feet firmly on the ground. The Soldier adjusts the seat to achieve a 90-degree angle between the Soldier’s upper and lower arms, with the shoulders directly below the handgrips. The hips, low back, shoulders, and head rest firmly against the seat back. The Soldier looks straight ahead, maintaining a natural arch in the lower back. The Soldier selects the appropriate weight and ensures the pin is secure in the weight stack.
- Push upward until both arms are fully extended, but not locked.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 6-36. Overhead press
- Feet remain on the ground, with hips, back, shoulders, and head firmly on the bench.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precaution: Do not arch the back or allow the hips to rise off the bench.