STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 1: LEG PRESS
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the hip and thigh muscles (Figure 6-20 ).
Starting Position: Seated position with the knees bent at 90-degrees and feet flat on the foot platform. The hips, low back, shoulders, and head are firmly against the seat back with the eyes looking straight ahead. A natural arch is maintained in the lower back. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack. Hands are relaxed and placed on the handgrips.
- Straighten the legs slowly until they are fully extended, not locked.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled motion.
Figure 6-20. Leg press
- The hips, low back, shoulders, and head are firmly against the seat back.
- Maintain a natural arch in the lower back.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Do not arch the back or allow the hips to rise off the seat. Do not grip the handgrips tightly.