STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 8: LATERAL RAISE
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the shoulder and neck muscles (Figure 6-42).
Starting Position: Seated position with the feet firmly on the ground. The seat is adjusted so a 90-degree angle is formed between the upper and lower arms. The hips, lower back, shoulders, and head are firmly against the seat back with the eyes looking straight ahead. A natural arch is maintained in the lower back. Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack.
- Raise both arms upward until they are parallel to the ground.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 6-42. Lateral raise
- Feet remain on the ground, with hips, back, shoulders, and head firmly on the bench.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Do not arch the back or allow the hips to rise off the bench. Do not raise arms above parallel to the ground.