STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 7: LAT PULL-DOWN
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the arm and back muscles (Figure 6-39).
Starting Position: Select the appropriate weight and ensure the pin is secure in the weight stack before assuming the starting position. Sit erect and adjust the roller pad so it is firm against the upper thigh and hip. Grasp the bar with a closed, pronated grip and assume a seated position with the hips against the roller pad and the feet flat on the ground. The upper body is perpendicular to the floor.
- Keeping the arms straight and elbows rotated out to the side and slightly flexed, simultaneously bend the elbows and pull bar toward the shoulders until the upper arms are parallel to the ground.
- Return to the starting position by slowly extending the elbows.
Figure 6-39. Lat pull-down
- Feet remain flat on the ground and the trunk is erect.
- Maintain a natural arch in the lower back.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead or slightly upward.
- Arms are straight and elbows rotated out to the side and slightly flexed and in direct line with the cable.
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precaution: Do not jerk the trunk or lean back to move the bar toward the shoulders.