PREPARATION DRILL, EXERCISE 3: HIGH JUMPER
Purpose: This exercise reinforces correct jumping and landing, stimulates balance and coordination, and develops explosive strength (Figure 6-60).
Starting Position: Forward leaning stance.
- Swing arms forward and jump a few inches.
- Swing arms backward and jump a few inches.
- Swing arms forward vigorously overhead while jumping forcefully.
- Repeat count 2. On the last repetition, return to the starting position.
Figure 6-60. High jumper
- At the starting position, the shoulders, the knees, and the balls of the feet should form a straight vertical line.
- On count 1, the arms are parallel to the ground.
- On count 3, the arms should be extended fully overhead. The trunk and legs should also be aligned.
- On each count the Soldier is jumping. On counts 1, 2, and 4 the jumps are 4-6 inches off the ground. On count 3, the Soldier jumps higher (6-10 inches) while maintaining the posture pictured in Figure 6-60.
- On each landing, the feet should be directed forward and maintained at shoulder distance apart. The landing should be “soft” and proceed from the balls of the feet to the heels. The vertical line from the shoulders through the knees to the balls of the feet should be demonstrated on each landing.