STRENGTH TRAINING MACHINE DRILL, EXERCISE 3: HEEL RAISE
Purpose: This exercise develops strength in the back of the lower leg muscles (Figure 6-28).
Starting Position: Stand with the balls of the feet on the elevated platform, toes pointing straight ahead, feet aligned directly below the hips, and the knees slightly flexed.
- Raise the entire body slowly by pulling the heels up, maintaining a slight bend in the knees, and a natural arch in the low back.
- Return to the starting position.
Figure 6-28. Heel raise
- Maintain a natural arch in the lower back.
- Keep the knees slightly flexed throughout the exercise.
- Keep the head and neck in a neutral position, looking straight ahead.
- Keep the knees aligned over the feet
- Exhale on count 1 and inhale on count 2.
Precautions: Avoid flexing or extending the trunk. Do not allow the ankles to turn in or out.